International Fellowship of Chivalry-Now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 163 on Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:57 am
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Keywords

knight  grail  chivalry  

Latest topics
» More articles on Anti-Chivalry
More articles on Anti-Chivalry EmptyFri Feb 24, 2017 4:57 pm by Fables

» Article Against Chivlary
More articles on Anti-Chivalry EmptyTue Jan 03, 2017 9:15 pm by Fables

» Brining in new articles on Chivalry
More articles on Anti-Chivalry EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 11:12 am by Fables

» Hello and Welcome to Chivalry Now
More articles on Anti-Chivalry EmptyFri Nov 25, 2016 6:08 am by Braveheart

» Some Things I tell myself to keep me sane.
More articles on Anti-Chivalry EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 4:18 pm by Christopher Warren

» Current political season.
More articles on Anti-Chivalry EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 3:44 pm by Christopher Warren

» What about Chivalry is attractive to you?
More articles on Anti-Chivalry EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 9:39 am by Dean Jacques

» Introduction
More articles on Anti-Chivalry EmptyTue Aug 16, 2016 9:07 am by Braveheart

» The Shadow-side of Male Virtue
More articles on Anti-Chivalry EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 1:33 pm by Dean Jacques

Affiliates

free forum

Forumotion on Facebook Forumotion on Twitter Forumotion on YouTube Forumotion on Google+

More articles on Anti-Chivalry

Go down

More articles on Anti-Chivalry Empty More articles on Anti-Chivalry

Post by Fables Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:57 pm

Hello, I know it's been awhile but so much has happened, from me going away on a trip coming back with a slight cold which I still have, working on other projects including a new blog. Anyway, I just wanted to post a few more articles I found that rejects chivalry as benevolent sexism. This time its by a male professor from New Zealand, Matthew Hammond. Feel free to check out these articles and I hope there can be a discussion analyzing the opinions in the articles. I personally don't support everything that is written in these articles but I think there are great for learning what the other side feels.

When chivalry became the new sexism
IAN STEWARD

When a man holds a door open for a woman, is it chivalry or sexism? Or, to be precise, "benevolent sexism"? Benevolent sexism has been identified as the flip side of the "hostile" sexism that would banish women to the kitchen. It's a distincition that has been looked at by Auckland University researchers in a survey of the attitudes of more than 6500 New Zealanders.

Study author Matthew Hammond said benevolent sexism portrays women as "fragile and delicate and in need of protection" and emphasised their emotional qualities. The study found that many women embraced benevolent sexism. Those women were also more likely to be psychologically "entitled" - a symptom of a narcissistic personality where people feel they are deserving or more special than others. Hammond said it was predicted the two traits would go together as benevolent sexism appeared to "promise" things to women.

Television presenter Ali Mau said she believed benevolent sexism was predominantly "an older generation thing" that would probably die out with her parents' generation, or perhaps with her own generation. "These people who protest that it's chivalrous - I think there's some deep-seated sexism there." From an informal poll of her younger workmates, the custom of a man paying on a first date was still common, she said. "But generally the woman will insist on paying on the second date."

Auckland University law student Olivia Lubbock, 22, who was part of a feminist parody of the pop song Blurred Lines, said she hadn't experienced any hostile sexism recently but "I definitely agree there's a lot of benevolent sexism". Particularly in the dating world, there was still an expectation that women were supposed to be "demure" and "fit into a certain stereotype" - the "good girl" of the Blurred Lines song, for example. Lubbock said she had noticed benevolent sexism in the workplace where men offered to lift boxes for her when "I like to lift my own boxes". The old-school staple of opening doors for someone was still gratefully received but "anybody can hold a door open for anyone else".

"That's where we need to be heading rather than this notion that men need to protect women." The link between benevolent sexism and entitlement did not surprise her.
"I think there are women whose parents actively encourage them to be entitled. As mature young women we have to be realistic - you can't expect everything to be given to you on a gold plate."

Anna Guy, the sister of murdered Feilding farmer Scott Guy, said sexism had got "a lot better than it used to be maybe 10 years ago". Benevolent sexism was difficult to separate from a new attitude of people looking after each other and gender roles becoming more shared, she said. "It might not be exactly equal but men also look after children and work." Is a man opening a door for a woman "benevolent sexism"? Guy: "It's definitely impressive. I feel like they don't have to - if they don't want to I wouldn't be offended. It's a bonus."

Olivia Lubbock: "Anyone can hold a door open for anyone else."
Study author Hammond: "I open the door for everyone. I know when I open the door for someone it's not because they are a man or a woman, it's because they are behind me . . . but they don't know that."

Alison Mau: "I open doors for men and they open doors for me. It's about who's better placed to offer the courtesy."

Chivalry turns women sexist, according to survey
MARIKA HILL

Women who date a sexist, chivalrous bloke risk turning anti-feminist themselves, according to a new study. On the flipside, a women's thoughts on sexism didn't sway her male partner's attitudes, the research found.

A New Zealand academic interviewed 1000 couples in Auckland and North America for the study on benevolent sexism. Often associated with chivalry, benevolent sexism sees women being cherished, protected and provided for by their male partners.

The study author Matthew Hammond said benevolent sexism looked romantic but actually functions in ways that advantage men. He said modern men face the challenge of being chivalrous without overstepping the line to sexism.

"It is the praise or kindness to women that is specifically targeted to women that, ironically, is extremely harmful. Praise, good manners, and kindness is great as long as it doesn't assume the recipient needs it." A nice gesture, such as buying a dinner for a partner, is not harmful. Harmful beliefs carry a prescription, such as "men should buy dinner for women", that carry powerful implications that men are therefore strong, competent and the breadwinners in society.

In reality, researchers say this type of sexism - which is more accepted in society than active sexism - casts woman as weak, vulnerable and in need of a man's protection.
A women's acceptance of this type of sexist behaviour is linked to feelings of incompetence, a lack of ambition, and harsher attitudes towards victims of date rapes, researcher showed.

As stars of the last Bachelor season, the dating habits of Art Green and Matilda Rice were screened across the country.The couple said people who reinforce the old sexist ideals are a dying breed.Rice said she had never dated an old-fashioned man, but knew of a woman who was with a guy staunchly against her doing outdoorsy activities. "Then he slowly started to push his washing on her."

Chivalry among younger couples has changed it's meaning, the couple said."Modern chivalry is more about doing thoughtful and tailored things for the person whereas traditionally it was about opening doors," Rice said."I like to do things that make her day easier," Green said. "I might meet her for lunch, do the washing or if I'm home first I'll start dinner."

In the research, social psychologist Matthew Hammond asked couples to rate their own and partner's attitudes toward sexism.Hammond, who recently transferred from Auckland University to the University of Illinois, found females became more sexist over time as they were swayed by their misogynist partner's attitudes.

These women therefore encouraged sexist attitudes and gender inequality on society, he said.When a man did not support benevolent sexist behaviour, the woman also didn't agree with old-fashioned chivalry.

Men, on-the-other-hand, did not feel the need to live up to any sexist attitudes a female may support. In fact, men who felt they have to live up to a chivalrous ideal might actually feel threatened in the relationship. "Responsibilities of living up to the 'chivalrous provider' ideal might even threaten feelings of regard and relationship security for men," Hammond said.

The study was published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.​

Benevolent Sexism: Women are seen as needing a man's protection and praised for being in traditional "warm caregiver" roles. Men are seen as competent providers and protectors. This type of sexism encourages women to adopt a similar attitude and lowers her ambitions.

It is more accepted in society than active sexism.

Active Sexism: With active sexism, men feel threatened by women who challenge their masculine power.Women are chastised for being in non-traditional female roles.
It can include a man being derogative towards a career woman or feminist.

I'll post more articles on this subject later.

Fables
Page
Page

http://www.discoveringbiblicaltruth.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down