International Fellowship of Chivalry-Now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 163 on Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:57 am
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Keywords

chivalry  grail  knight  

Latest topics
» More articles on Anti-Chivalry
The 10th Trust: I will be generous to the poor and to those who need help. EmptyFri Feb 24, 2017 4:57 pm by Fables

» Article Against Chivlary
The 10th Trust: I will be generous to the poor and to those who need help. EmptyTue Jan 03, 2017 9:15 pm by Fables

» Brining in new articles on Chivalry
The 10th Trust: I will be generous to the poor and to those who need help. EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 11:12 am by Fables

» Hello and Welcome to Chivalry Now
The 10th Trust: I will be generous to the poor and to those who need help. EmptyFri Nov 25, 2016 6:08 am by Braveheart

» Some Things I tell myself to keep me sane.
The 10th Trust: I will be generous to the poor and to those who need help. EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 4:18 pm by Christopher Warren

» Current political season.
The 10th Trust: I will be generous to the poor and to those who need help. EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 3:44 pm by Christopher Warren

» What about Chivalry is attractive to you?
The 10th Trust: I will be generous to the poor and to those who need help. EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 9:39 am by Dean Jacques

» Introduction
The 10th Trust: I will be generous to the poor and to those who need help. EmptyTue Aug 16, 2016 9:07 am by Braveheart

» The Shadow-side of Male Virtue
The 10th Trust: I will be generous to the poor and to those who need help. EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 1:33 pm by Dean Jacques

Affiliates

free forum

Forumotion on Facebook Forumotion on Twitter Forumotion on YouTube Forumotion on Google+

The 10th Trust: I will be generous to the poor and to those who need help.

Go down

The 10th Trust: I will be generous to the poor and to those who need help. Empty The 10th Trust: I will be generous to the poor and to those who need help.

Post by Dean Jacques Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:31 am

The 10th Trust: I will be generous to the poor and to those who need help.

Extending assistance to those in need is truly the cornerstone of today’s Knighthood.

While this may or may not include the occasional great deed that garners much attention, chivalry is more comprehensive than that. It promotes a heroic way of life that includes everything we do.

As an appropriate advocate for virtue, today’s Knight is expected to be strong and fearless at heart, but also capable of empathy and personal sacrifice. The purpose of Knighthood is to channel one’s skill and strength for the betterment of the world. This includes intelligence, foresight, sense of purpose, lack of fear, and a deep desire to be helpful toward others.

None of this is possible without a generous spirit. Knighthood is a commitment not only of mind and body but of heart and spirit. It tells us to put ego aside in order to purify the heroic instinct.

Being generous to the poor and helping those who are in need are the natural expression of that instinct. It does not seek glory or accolades. An authentic life well lived is reward enough.

The deeds we do in life either sanctify or condemn us. Non-response is nothing more than cowardice. Why cowardice? Because we are given one life to lead. Refusing to live it well is the act of a coward. Closing ones eyes to injustice or bigotry is also. When we do not respond to the needs around us, we are choosing to ignore conscience, which means shutting off the better part of who we are. We are not born into this life to disengage from it, but to live it as best we can.

It is easy to be hopeful and generous to those we love. But what of those we don’t love? What of the stranger in our midst? What of those we hear about, of but never see? Are we obliged to help them as well?

Some say no. Some say we are only obliged to help our family and closest friends. In times of trouble we may feel obliged to defend our country – or maybe we don’t.

This is what makes the priorities of Knighthood different from our basest instincts. It stands for something greater than me and mine. It embraces the more profound aspects of virtue and humanity. It exemplifies what we can be, rather than how little we can get away with. It solves problems rather than ignoring them or making them worse.

All the great religions and philosophies support this motivation. The task of Knighthood is to exemplify it.

If you find that the virtue of generosity is not prominent in your way of life, take time to contemplate its value. Consider how you might improve yourself by better exemplifying a generous spirit. Sometimes, all it takes is a kind word, or listening to someone who is troubled. Other times it requires something more direct or costly.

To do this effectively, it is first necessary to open your eyes to the needs of those around you, including people you might not like or otherwise notice. For all you know, their smiles or silence might hide the deepest pain.

Compassion is a virtue. Be sure to cultivate it.
Dean Jacques
Dean Jacques
Council Knight Administrator,
Council Knight Administrator,

http://www.chivalrynow.net

Back to top Go down